Music Banter - View Single Post - Theories about Sound
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
(most usually) sinusoidal vibrations of the local atmosphere based on minute pressure gradients, produced by (most usually) some mechanical shock. physically, "sound" is energy losses to the atmosphere which can't be attributed to deformation or friction.

compressions/rarefactions themselves are incremental changes in the local atmospheric pressure. take an explosion, for example. the "shock wave" you feel/hear is actually a finite increase in local pressure over your eardrums. but when represented as some continuous frequency (or pitch) they manifest as a certain sound that we can distinguish in the range of 20 - 20 000 Hz.
Right. I don't see exactly how this is of importance since it seems to be more of a technical definition of what sound is rather than how we consciously percieve it / enjoy it. But physics are fun anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
BUT I am quite interested in the science behind binaural beats.
This is something I find very interesting as well, I want to do some research on it but I'm still having trouble understanding a lot of what I read. If you know of any good documenteries, reports etc with easy-to-understand language let me know.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote