Music Banter - View Single Post - Will the 00's be remembered fondly?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
I've never heard anyone call the 90s corny. You're telling me Nirvana, Pavement, DJ Shadow, Guided By Voices, Built To Spill, Yo La Tengo, Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo, MF DOOM, Radiohead (who I don't like but will include), Mice Parade, Stereolab, Beck, Cake, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr (granted it was J solo and easily their worst period), Mogwai, Tortoise, Flaming Lips, Snoop Dogg, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. were all one hit wonders and boy bands? I think you missed a lot, my friend. I'll go on if need be; the 90s and 00s are tied for my favorite decade in music I think.

EDIT: And I understand you may not like those genres, but I don't think you can write off the whole decade as one hit wonders and boy bands.
Which of these were radio hits again? I mean, lets be fair if we are going to label radio hits from the 90's. (ACTUAL radio hits, not alternative radio hits)
Backstreet Boys, Michael Bolton, Boyzone, Cher, Late Phil Collins, Celine fucking Dion, HANSON, Jewel, Madonna, RICKY FUCKING MARTIN, George Michael, Shania Twain, Paula Abdul, Aqua, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, NSYNC, Spice Girls, Bryan Adams, Aerosmith, Blink 182, Bon Jovi, Counting Crows, Def Leppard, Foo Fighters, late Genesis, Hootie & the Blowfish, Lenny Kravitz, Matchbox 20, Meat Loaf, Offspring, Tom Petty etc etc etc. All of a sudden looks like a pretty lousy decade to me.

PS - Not having a go at you, just using your post to demonstrate my point.

I mean, doesn't this happen every decade? Disco was the popular music of the 70's, and its hardly looked on favourably. Sure, there were a lot of bands that we're mainstream hits, but in the same regard its not like these bands were actually all popular in their day. 80's, embarrassing synth-pop stuff that is only listened to nowadays for laughs and glam metal. 90's, contemporary RnB that didn't deserve to be called RnB, the mainstreaming of Hip Hop/Rap, a lot of which was uninspiring, Nu-Metal (The less said the better). The 2000s have the same sort of crap with the occasional album that games mainstream popularity that eventually comes to define a decade (Sometimes for better sometimes for worse).

A lot of revisionist history comes about when it comes to music. Unless you've lived it, chances are you have no idea what it was actually like.

For what its worth, this decade has most definitely been my favourite. I personally have only been into music for maybe 2 years, yet I harbour no false ideas about what previous decades were like. They have their great bands, they have their **** bands, they have their good movements, and they have their bad ones.

Funny time for the thread to pop up though, given I planned to start a thread devoted to the 2000's this evening.

Last edited by Zarko; 10-27-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote