Music Banter - View Single Post - Will the 00's be remembered fondly?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

While I think Zarko's fundamental point is sound, I must disagree on some issues.... and, as I am a feeling the blackberry wine, let the analogies flow:

-a magazine for barflys that I quite like once stated the fundamental irony of dive bars; a few of them are quality places, which just happen to be located in crappy neighborhoods and patronized by the poor. Eventually, some hipsters will catch wind…. there will be a period of inundation, and then – like the tide – the bastards will leave.

Or perhaps a wine analogy?

-wine, before it has been moved from the primary to the secondary, tends to smell and taste like jet fuel. However, after getting racked a few times… it matures. It tastes less like jet fuel. It is matured. Then, it is bottled, folks let it settle to account for bottle shock if they so care…. then they move on to the next bottle.

Point being, no decade is fundamentally remembered (amongst music snobs, anyways) for what was popular during said period, but – rather – what ORIGINATED during said period. This decade, like the many that came before it, will be judged for not what styles came to maturity in this time frame, but for what original styles came forth.

I mean, take the late 70s. An era of crappy rock ‘n roll, or the cradle of punk?

The idea is to be ahead of the curve, like the hipsters seeking out an as of yet untouched dive.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote