Music Banter - View Single Post - Zarko & Bulldog's Trans-Hemispheric Review of the 2000's
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

A little boring back information...

Born in 1989, it took me a while to develop a keen interest in music. Through the 90's of course being in my early years I was unlikely to actually understand half the **** that was happening around me, let along attempt to focus on something with such a wide scope like music does. Through those early years it was snatch and run really, find a genre that sounds cool, say you're a fan and Bob's your uncle. Rock and roll was an early favourite if I recall correctly.

Either way, I never had music obsessed parents like many people do. It wasn't like I was born and raised listening to the Beatles or other such nonsense. I caught the occasional listen of a favourite group of my mum's or dad's music but nothing really carried on from that. I knew mum was a fan of Queen because whenever his name would pop up mum would never fail to come up with 'No one can ever match Freddie'. I found out that dad was a BeeGee's fan the hard way, given a good tongue-lashing when I questioned the 'lifestyle choices' the group had made (Being the impressionable young kid I was ) which was followed by an oddly aggressive barrage of questions, 'Why?', 'What gave you that impression?' etc etc. Either way they were both classic rock-ists beyond these basic two groups.

We did the generic 'music' class through school (recorders etc) but I was never the adept performer and never took it up long term. I respected the skills that fellow classmates had developed but was never once to question why I couldn't do something like that. Through this time you are generally weaned on the radio in the car to and from school, which of course you cannot change because it would be changed back the second later.

Either way this was the routine until about mid 2006 when I just started to strike up some conversations with the musically minded minds of my year level. The people I normally hung around with were music fans, but more on the sports side of things. They knew what they liked no doubt but they never delved into the world. So I started talking more with muso's about general stuff, until I realise that I had nothing to talk about with them in regards to their passion. By now I was a classic rock bore, being sucked in the previous year by a Kiss concert, and proceeded to try and understand why the Beatles were popular after buying a best of... or listening to Led Zeppelin but in actuality finding it rather boring if not okay. Either way, I was in a lull. Finding that classic rock was possibly not my thing, I looked back even further, and found the genre that would actually give my future musical passion credence - Jazz.

It started out rather uninspringly after downloading the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, which was pretty bland but overall nice jazz mixed with other genres that wasn't really bebop at all. I was to find that out after buying some Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gilespie records. Either way, it was an opening, and I took it. Either way for a while I was sucked into the 'classics' mentality yet again, this time with jazz though. It wasn't until I was willing to experiment a bit with genre mixing that I really found out about so many of this decades best albums. First it was jazz-rock, then electronic jazz, then this then that, then realised I was missing out just looking for jazz, so I jumped into electronic, the contemporary classical, then ambient, all easily accessible at this time. I looked further back in past decades for just that match that satisfied what I had become accustomed to liking. I really found it difficult to find anything that did as such. So I came back to the 2000's, where everything was more widepsread/easier to find/more interestingly mixed and match, and in the end I really couldn't be happier. The thing that makes music worth so much is finding new and exciting music.

Either way, longer than anticipated, but it gives some sort background info.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote