Music Banter - View Single Post - Will the 00's be remembered fondly?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

The same as every other decade- good and bad. I couldn't give two hoots what the radio will play regarding this decade in ten years time as it will be generally mainstream and not a good barometer of what's truly out there.

I do agree with Urban in many respects that we have so many more trends than usual this decade and the current penchant for recycling 80's synth music is laughable as 90% of it was bad enough in the first place.

I think the metal scene out of France has been particulary good over the last few years with bands declining to opt for a generic Nu Metal groove and adopt more progressive elements. The Japanese scene has been as healthy as ever with many Noise Rock/Post Rock bands blowing may of their English speaking counterparts away and of course the music scene down under which has seen a shedload of great Dub/Reggae/Funk/DnB bands that are genuinely fun to listen to and should be bigger in the mainstream but it's not particularly new.

How much more originality is out there? I think Electronic music is the last bastion of originality with an endless scope for experimentation.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote