Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #772 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

When Bully and I were paired up this time around I have to admit I was a little excited. The dude's got great taste, and knows nearly everything about music that I don’t know. What I mean by this is that he’s the perfect foil to my music taste; just as eccentric but far enough on the other side of the dial to ensure that we usually don’t know what each other is talking about. Given my propensity for difficult and sometimes laborious music, I eagerly agreed to receive Bully’s submission of an album that he assured me would be a challenge. I ended up getting Scott Walker’s Tilt, which I’d never even heard of. Needless to say I was blown away by Walker’s baritone voice and odd vocal style, but the delivery of some of his tracks struck me as unflatteringly off-kilter. However, through subsequent listens Tilt began to click for me. Stand outs include the baroque-ish Farmer in the City, the 8 ½ minute epic Patriot, and the just plain weird Bolivia ’95. I’m happy to say my endurance paid off handsomely, as Walker has the best voice I’ve ever heard in my life, bar none. I’d recommend this album to anyone looking for an incredibly unique musical experience, but I’d have to warn them that it takes a great effort to appreciate this fully.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote