Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the Quality of MusicBanter Decreasing?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #82 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
k E nnyneverdied: Proof MB sucks: There is an entire thread about the quality degenerating and the few people who seem to be sticking to their guns about the greatness of the site are the mods.
CrappyGuitar18: MB's decline in quality started when I stopped posting in the music threads (=
k E nnyneverdied: It started when I got banned.
CrappyGuitar18: still banned?
k E nnyneverdied: Yeah
k E nnyneverdied: I don't see getting unbanned happening but Tor made an interesting post.
CrappyGuitar18: he brought it up?
k E nnyneverdied: Kinda sorta.
k E nnyneverdied: Vegangelica brought it up and he responded.
k E nnyneverdied: As for the Unfan and turning permbans into tempbans, I think that discussion would be more appropriate in the Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback forum.
CrappyGuitar18: i still haven't talked to anyone about it but I need to PM a mod and at least ask if your ban is supposed to be permanent or not and why
k E nnyneverdied: Honestly, it doesn't matter. I doubt if I'd post if I were unbanned. Why should I be part of a community which has degenerated due to poor modship?
k E nnyneverdied: And yes, that is really why I think MB lost a lot of its appeal but people aren't bringing it up.
k E nnyneverdied: The few times I mentioned the ****ty mod job I was called a troll by the mods.
CrappyGuitar18: that's because they're afraid
CrappyGuitar18: lol
CrappyGuitar18: but I have nothing against the others
CrappyGuitar18: they all tried their best to help me during my little crisis and I'm greatful for that
CrappyGuitar18: and by crisis I mean you
k E nnyneverdied: Also I think Tor's post is interesting because I mentioned a few warnings and bans and the mods accused me of trolling and told me to stay out of it.
k E nnyneverdied: In fact, I didn't even like coryallen, but I still tried to argue against him being banned.
CrappyGuitar18: i dont think anyone liked coryallen
CrappyGuitar18: but he didnt really deserve a ban
CrappyGuitar18: he wasnt a troll
k E nnyneverdied: That doesn't mean he did anything wrong. Not being liked shouldn't be bannable.
CrappyGuitar18: just a total ****wad
k E nnyneverdied: I would care a lot less if the mods didn't pride themselves on fairness.
k E nnyneverdied: But the mods don't hold up MB's policies, and if they do its very inconsistantly.
k E nnyneverdied: coryallen was banned for flooding. Vanilla starts roughly 50984098089430984 times the threads coryallen does and she hasn't gotten even as much as a warning as far as I know.
k E nnyneverdied: Also MB has a no sexual content clause and Vanilla's biggest thread was about sex.
k E nnyneverdied: Oops, looks like Vanilla should be ****ing banned.
k E nnyneverdied: But no, the mods like her so she won't be.
CrappyGuitar18: well
k E nnyneverdied: Mod favoritism is the reason MB is such a ****ty community.
CrappyGuitar18: the sexual content clause is stupid
k E nnyneverdied: I agree that it is stupid.
CrappyGuitar18: everyone posts on her thread
k E nnyneverdied: But it isn't my site nor my rules.
CrappyGuitar18: so everyone should be banned by that logic
CrappyGuitar18: i should tell them about that
k E nnyneverdied: Either the MB mods need to change the rules, or ban Vanilla.
CrappyGuitar18: if you're not gonna obey the rules, get rid of them
k E nnyneverdied: There is no consistancy between the rules and what they deem ban worthy.
k E nnyneverdied: MB has no standard so of course it all comes down to favorites.
CrappyGuitar18: change the rule to "no explict sexual images" or something
CrappyGuitar18: that is kinda true
k E nnyneverdied: Which is precisely how I think I got outed.
k E nnyneverdied: The mods got sick of me calling them on their nonsense and banned me over pointing out their flaws.
k E nnyneverdied: I WAS A BETTER MODS THAN THE MODERATORS AND I WAS ACCUSED OF TROLLING FOR KNOWING THE RULES BETTER THAN THEY DO
k E nnyneverdied: If that isn't bull**** I don't know what is.
CrappyGuitar18: well I like vanilla, so I should tell them that the rules need to be changed
CrappyGuitar18: because it's a stupid rule
k E nnyneverdied: Personally I don't like Vanilla, but the reason I don't like Vanilla is because she didn't like me because I didn't like you.
CrappyGuitar18: oh
CrappyGuitar18: ?
CrappyGuitar18: maybe she'd be nicer to you if she knew that we got along now
k E nnyneverdied: In fact, you might as well post my rant on lack of standards in the Quality Of MB Decreasing thread because that is precisely the problem.
k E nnyneverdied: If there is no community standard the community is inable to be approached reasonably.

Little convo I had with Unfan, who actually does raise some good points. I think some of the rules are worthless since nobody enforces them, I'm not attacking any of the mods here, it's just a suggestion.

Also, is Unfan's ban a permanent one and if so why?
Some of the discussion is addressing inconcistencies in the way the site is moderated and the rules. Actually, there is no rule against sexual content anymore. It was removed quite some time ago basically because of the points you guys mentioned. The rules in general were revised and improved.

If the sexual content rule is still around, then there's a rule thread somewhere which has not been updated and if so, it's a simple error on our part.

As for the rest of the discussion, it might bring up some points but they may also be highly biased. It would perhaps be interesting to ask the community in general if they think permabans of some of our members has decreased the quality of the site. Another interesting question one could ask now is ; moderation is done in a very general rather than set way, different mods moderate in somewhat different ways. There are pros and cons, one big pro is that people who are generally nice are generally not moderated as much - people are given some amount of freedom as long as they behave. On the other hand, moderation becomes more personal, there could be favoritism - it basically opens up for human error. Although I think it's ultimately something for the mod team to sort out, I wouldn't mind a discussion on this in it's own thread if people have some strong ideas concerning this.

Because people are asking about the unfan, I can say that he's been permabanned indefinetly because he has a history of insulting other members and getting moderated which included tempbanning which he nevertheless didn't seem to learn much from.
  • Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
  • Reason: trolling
  • Reason: Off-topic insults
  • Reason: Unprovoked personal insults towards a moderator.
  • Reason: If this doesn't deserve a warning, nothing does.

Those are things from his registered moderation history, but you also have to remember that a lot of moderation goes on in the background over PMs. I have nothing personal against The Unfan, but I don't think his permaban should come as a surprise to anyone. He's a repeat offender and likely will continue to be if he ever comes back.

edit :

If you have any opinions on points brought up in the last two posts, please check out this thread : http://www.musicbanter.com/announcem...moderated.html