Music Banter - View Single Post - Zarko & Bulldog's Trans-Hemispheric Review of the 2000's
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

A little bit of laborious background info from me as well before I get down to the nitty gritty.

Born in 1988, I can honestly say I didn't develop a real interest in music 'til I was 9 years old, and even that wasn't really a very passionate one. Like Zarko, my parents weren't exactly hooked on music either. My Mum's a fan of all sorts of corny corn like Rod Stewart and Neil Diamond (bless her), while my Dad listens almost exclusively to classical. I did catch a glimpse of an ELO 12" of his in the attic once (don't ask me which one it was), and he's partial to a bit of good old rock 'n' roll so, if I even thought about music enough to have a favourite area of it, that'd be it.

For all the bashing of mainstream radio that goes down around here, it was actually listening to stations like Capital FM, Heart FM and Virgin Radio that first started getting me to pay attention to the music around me a bit more. Needless to say, my tastes have gone leaps and bounds since all of 12 years ago, but early favourites were songs like Raincloud by the Lighthouse Family, I Believe In Miracles and various other late 90s pop-lite-shite I wouldn't touch with a bargepole today. A few years later I started making my own way, although that way would be a very misguided walk down Nu Metal avenue, featuring such tripe as Linkin Park, Papa Roach and so on. It wasn't 'til I was on the way back from school in the taxi with Virgin Radio on the go that I heard a couple of songs back-to-back that basically changed my way of thinking about music forever - David Bowie's Rebel Rebel and the Jam's That's Entertainment.

From there (the year 2000 if I remember correctly), without making this too long, my tastes just completely changed. Although I lulled a bit for about a year and didn't listen to an awful lot of music, it's more or less been the same story since then - music being an incredibly important part of my life, basically. I used to have a tendency to look back into the 70s and 80s a lot more with the music I got myself, but there are plenty of albums I can think of now that represent the last 10 years of musical quality. I'd say a quick word or two about my taste in general, but I'm sure you'll get an idea of it as this thread continues. The crux of the whole thing is that I don't know many people at all, if anyone (except my brother of course, who's also been an influence on me musically to an extent), in the offline world who has what I'd call a genuinely good taste in music, which is pretty much the reason you find me logging in here so often!

So, yeah, on with the show!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote