Music Banter - View Single Post - Bang your head to 50 great albums.
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 03:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Like others on here, I`m enjoying the list and the first couple of entries like Obituary I was familiar with. Both Electric Wizard and Anathema are both new to me though and its kind of good to see some British bands doing some great metal again despite being very different styles........hey, and a band from Dorset!

Electric Wizard sounded how I expected it to sound so no surprises there, but as you say its gut wrenchingly heavy and a great listen but the only downside is the length 71 mins!!!

Anathema are a completely different kettle a fish and it`s hard to believe that they started off a death/doom metal outfit and by the time "Judgement" had come around they were producing I suppose a kind of ambient metal. I noticed the group has had a large amount of line-up changes as well. When I was listening to the album, it had a metal feel but it was without the metal sound and as you say its rather like some of Opeth`s more mellow moments but I could certainly hear bits of Radiohead and even more interestingly Wishbone Ash, I expected them at anytime to go on and sing the Wishbone Ash line "Time Was......" Anyway I`m certainly going to investigate more stuff by them.

Keep up the good work with the reviews.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote