Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #408 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. D View Post
I can't get into this underground rap stuff. Doesn't the cream rise to the top?
Have you never listened to a band that's signed to an independent label rather than a mainstream one?

The rappers who make catchy songs and have an image that will appeal to the masses and make the rich guys in suits even richer are the ones who make it to the mainstream. The majority of the time the rappers who actually have some sort of skill in song writing and a good grip on lyricism are the ones who are not signed to major labels for many reasons, one being that their songs aren't made to dance to and another one of the main reasons is that starting your own label or remaining independent gives you more control over your work rather than having someone tell you what you can and cannot say. Generally rappers in the underground just don't want to conform and lose all rights to their music by signing to some huge label. (obviously there are exceptions to this, on a rare occasion a very intelligent and lyrical rapper will make it onto mtv lol)

Also a lot of underground rap is quite political, sure controversy sells but only to an extent. There's no way a major label would get away with signing someone like Lowkey or Jedi Mind Tricks (not that they would sign with one anyway lol)

Albums sales/profits gained is not a reflection of skill. Just something to remember.

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote