Music Banter - View Single Post - anyone have a record collection?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaackkk View Post
how the **** do people have money for all that?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
Work, build up collection over time, find used records at garage sales and the like cheap, find records people are giving away that they don't want anymore.
...and learn the subject matter - know what it is you're looking for.

So many sellers advertise vinyl as "First Press" when it isn't. Likewise, they often sell something outrageously rare for very little money simply because they don't know what it is.

It's totally possible to make your record collection self-funding by finding genuine first presses and rarities in charity shops, boot sales and even 2nd hand record shops.

I recently picked up a copy of the "Livin' Lovin' Wreck" version of Led Zep II for £20 in my local 2nd hand shop, and sold it on eBay for £250. If I'd known ALL the details about that record, I could have held out for £500-700.

I've also bought a first press of "Dark Side of the Moon" for £5 from a shop - the last time I saw one sell on eBay it went for around £900. The same shop recently had a copy of Led Zep I on sale for £100 - and I'm kicking myself for not buying it. Could have made a 900% profit.

Last Saturday, I bought a first press of "Rubber Soul" from a charity shop for £35. And trust me, that was an utter bargain
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote