Music Banter - View Single Post - So What Are We Drinking Tonight?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #880 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by joderu95 View Post
I've got a bottle of that too. I'm not too keen on it so far especially for the price, maybe it'll grow on me though.
I love it! I think it's a great whisky though some don't care for the typical peaty smoky islay flavours.

Of the standard young islays (the 10s and 12 year olds), it's pretty good, but I've tasted whisky from all the islay distilleries and I think Ardbeg 10 is my favourite (of the young uns). The limited edition Laphroaig Quarter Cask is amazing though, the whisky is stored on smaller barrels which gives a more oaky flavour. They have a new "triple wood" out now that I'm excited to get my hands on. I think it's supposed to be a blend of regular, quarter cask and sherry cask.

If the bonfire taste is too much for you, you should try Bowmore 12 years old. It's still an islay whisky but the smoke is less fist in your mouth and a bit more delicate. There are a couple of types and I prefer the mariner to enigma. Bowmore Legend is also good, though exactly what it is I don't know.