Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #775 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

NumberNineDream sent me

Soap&Skin is the name given to the neoclassical project of Austrian pianist and singer Anja Plaschg. The album offers some musical diversity as the piano playing is beautiful throughout and a lot of tracks are stripped bare right down to the piano and the vocals. The best tracks, at least for me, on the record make full use of a darker sound and mood, some electronic influences and wonderful string-laden climaxes.

I have listened to this record twice now and avoided writing my review for the last few days until i had given it some more time. The first time i listened to it i had very mixed feelings about it. I thought that in places it was musically fantastic but that sadly these moments were too few and far between and i was struggling to get past the vocals. Vocals arent generally a deal breaker for me, i can usually see past a vocal i'm not too crazy about but this was proving more of a battle for me than usual.

After a second listen i find myself warming to her very distinguished voice a little more and even striking up some similarities with Martin Grech which may have helped. It's great music to dim the lights to, put some earphones in and enjoy it in all it's moody, atmospheric glory and i can see myself finding time for this record in the future to suit various different moods as it certainly explores gloom while possessing some good uplifting and relaxing qualities also.

If it sounds as though it's suited to your tastes then i would recommend checking out Extinguish Me, Turbine Womb and Mr. Gaunt PT 1000 which were probably my favourites and all beautiful pieces of music.

Overall, not strictly my cup of tea but a definite grower i think.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote