Music Banter - View Single Post - Jazz Pianists
Thread: Jazz Pianists
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
Sorry if there's already a thread like this, I did a few searches and couldn't find one.

Basically, I went to get records today, and picked up Solo Piano by Dave McKenna because I wanted something jazzy and it had a cool cover. Now I can't stop listening to it. I still have yet to venture into the world of jazz heavily, though I really like the sound. What I want are some suggestions of good jazz pianists. Anyone, whether you think I know them or not. Chances are I don't. Doesn't have to be a similar style to him or anything, just no terribly slow and boring smooth jazz stuff please Thanks in advance!
This may be a little outside of what you're looking for but Jelly Roll Morton is really worth checking out. He was one of the very early jazz pianists and died in 1941 so there aren't all that many recordings of him. I have one collection that's just called Jelly Roll Morton: the Pianist and Composer that's fantastic. If I remember correctly it was recorded all in one day sometime in the 30s (which was toward the end of his career) and it's just him on a piano solo playing mostly fast ragtime/early-jazz/whorehouse music.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote