Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Phylogeny Project : Collecting Suggestions for Traits!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
Interesting!

And yeah, this is the way to do it I guess if you wanna generate playlists for people. I would love to get my hands on some of that data Wonder if its available anywhere ..
Pandora has already done something like this, but not in terms of looking at where artists took influence from. Because we can't actually see a tree of how their project goes from older to newer, all that you know about each band is what traits they consider it to have (not even sure if you can view all those) and the related music that they list for each song. So, I think we should still do the project. Now, of course it won't be exact, but if my knowledge of the concept is correct you should be able to just get a better and better path of where someone's sound is coming from by using more and more traits. So, you might be interested in this tore:

List of Music Genome Project attributes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a list of the traits they used for the Music Genome Project. It does say it's incomplete, but there's a hell of a lot on there. I think MB should do it's own project though. It sounds like a lot of fun to me. Also, if you just go to the page on wikipedia, it explains a bit more how they grouped the songs and all. It'd probably be useful for this project, if you trust wikipedia as a source.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote