Music Banter - View Single Post - Will the 00's be remembered fondly?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #69 (permalink)
storymilo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I get what you're saying but what I'm saying is that I don't think it's any harder or any easier to come up with good new original music than it ever has been. You're speaking as if there is some predetermined, finite number of styles available to people and we've used most of them up at this point, but I don't think that's the case because the game is always changing. Why did no one think to make breakcore in the 1950s? Because the technology to do it hadn't been invented yet. In terms of technology and the cultural landscape the deck is always being reshuffled and because of that I'd say there are nearly infinite combinations of things that can result in great new original music. That said, I think it's safe to say all music has it's antecedents, so in that sense there's never really been any thing truly new going on at a fundamental level. But that's what makes music exciting to me, the fact that it has to keep one foot in the past while applying those old ideas to new situations.
I actually agree with you there. I don't think there are no styles left that people haven't tried, and no more original music can be made, I just think that it seems like so many bands today are just copying the styles of other people from before this time. Which doesn't make the music bad, just less original.

So it's not that there is no original music left to be made, it's just that many people aren't making an effort to make it
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote