Music Banter - View Single Post - Will the 00's be remembered fondly?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #81 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

For the 90s, I thought eletronica like Aphex Twin or rave music like Sash was rather new and fresh expressions, just an example. Of course you can take a step back into meta land and say everything comes from something else - and talking about music, that's obviously right. It doesn't change the fact that there are varying degrees of how original an idea can be.

You know I know that music is influenced by music before it. You also do understand, I think, that I'm comparing this decade to others. That's why I said I'm not sure I agree, I understand your point but I think because we're not really in meta-land but talking about practical and real experiences with music as a changing culture, you could most definetly say that ideas are less fresh if that's your perception of it. It's a pretty grounded and relevant way to look at it.

I think ideas are generally less fresh and, as mentioned, I think I could see much of what was new in the 90s compared to earlier decades.

edit :

Ex. there may be a link between Motorhead and Metallica, but I think it's a bigger leap than say Arcade Fire or The Raconteurs's relation to the alternative rock sounds from the 90s .. Or Donkeyboy's relation to the synth pop from the 80s.