Music Banter - View Single Post - MB's 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time: How YOU Can Vote!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

1. Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction Expansion Pack
To be honest, I hated the original Diablo. I thought it was ridiculously boring and worthless, and I still kind of do. However, when Diablo 2 came out I was blown away. The depth and versatility of the game astounded me, and Blizzard’s Battle.net made it easy for young kids like me to play online for FREE. That’s insane, especially considering the complexity of the game and the near endless customization that was possible. One of the most addicting and varied games of all time, bar none.

2. Pokémon Red + Blue
From the moment I first picked up Pokémon I was a fan. I’ve got loads of cards upstairs right now, I watched the show almost every weekend, and I can still remember the names of pretty much every original Pokémon. The game was so great in its simplicity; here’s your dude, make it strong, and fight another dude. All the cheats, all the little secret codes and hidden gems made it both a classic game and a cultural icon. These guys have the longevity market cornered, as they’re still making great games today,

3. Blades of Steel
Infamous hockey game for the NES, it’s still the standard all hockey games are compared to today. Despite being born 5 years after it came out, I was lucky enough to have a deadbeat father who kept his copy and let me play it on the weekends when I went to see him. Some of my best memories are just me destroying people at Blades of Steel as a seven year old in my pajamas.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Aside from Pokémon, I didn’t really like very many games on the Game Boy. The one I did fall in love with was Link’s Awakening DX, which was a color remake of the original. The premise of a windfish that needs divine instruments to be woken up from a nap is crazy, but it seemed viable when I was 10. I eagerly played this game all the time and it was a genuine challenge to me, a first in my video game experiences.

5. NHL 09
I love NHL 09, and I’ve logged some serious hours on Xbox Live playing against jerks from Germany to China, and everywhere in between. The ability to get five of your friends together and play on the same line is brilliant, the scope of the draft/scouting system in dynasty mode is unprecedented, and the graphics are some of the best to date. I play this game every day after school, and before the real games start. Nothing better than getting high and making Markus Naslund put up 6 goals against the Detroilet Red Wings.

6. Mario Tennis 64
One of the first sports games I ever played, Mario Tennis 64 was just so addicting. Each character brought a different style and different abilities, but my favorite was always the Koopa Paratroopa. I quickly mastered this simple game and loved the pace of competitive play with my friends.

7. Metroid Prime
In my opinion, Metroid Prime was the best game ever made for the GameCube. It had everything you could possibly want in a FPS; an intriguing story, gorgeous graphics, responsive gameplay, and both easy and infuriating degrees of difficulty. I know some might think it strange that I didn’t include the original Metroid, or Super Metroid in my list, but rest assured I love those games too. It’s just that I grew up with Metroid Prime and therefore it will always top my list of Metroid games.

8. Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance
This is a game that I picked up on clearance for like $5 bucks from one of those secondhand electronics stores. For a game that I bought on a whim, Baldur’s Gate had incredible value and is probably the hidden gem of my collection. Not a pure RPG in the contemporary sense, it lacks the customization of some of its peers. However, the story was solid and the gameplay was insanely fun hack-and-slash fare.

9. Age of Mythology + Titans
My first, and admittedly last, RTS, AoM was aesthetically beautiful. The gameplay was simple and required strategic thought, as opposed to just mass production and large-scale assault. The expansion was where it’s at though, I loved The Titans add-ons and thought that the Atlantean campaign was awesome.

10. Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
A cartoony and fun-filled game that I played as a tween. The best part of Ratchet and Clank was the oddball humor and wickedly ingenious arsenal developed for Ratchet. Some of the guns were outlandish, others were devastating, but they were all unique. Gameplay was basic platforming, but the locales were lush and colorful, as well as destructible. One of the first games I played that incorporated an interactive environment.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote