Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #128 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Pretty Things - The Pretty Things
(1965)

Tracks

1 Roadrunner 1:58
2 Judgement Day 2:20
3 13 Chester Street 2:20
4 Big City 3:00
5 Unknown Blues 2:30
6 Mama, Keep You Big Mouth Shut 2:09
7 Honey I Need 3:13
8 Oh Baby Doll 2:09
9 She's Fine, She's Mine 2:45
10 Don't Lie to Me 2:30

I often describe The Pretty Things as the band The Rolling Stones could have been, I obviously like Alan Partridge but there is a hint of truth with that statement as well. The roots of The Pretty Things after all lie with a line-up which included Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Ultimately this line-up didn’t last past college, but in many ways the Pretty Things line-up which went into Stanhope Palace to record their debut were the real deal back in 1965, not the after effects of some publicity drive. For The Pretty Things were way beyond notoriety, they struck fear into parent and even the record label they were signed to, indeed the first producer Fontana selected for the inenarrable task of recording this dysfunctional mob of misfits left soon into the recordings, this producer also happened to be the head of the label, oops!

It is therefore more than amazing that The Pretty Things managed to stay signed let alone release a debut album, but alas in 1965 that is exactly what they did, releasing their self titled debut on Fontana Records. On a backdrop of alcohol fuelled Rock n Roll, and a tug of war with record execs about how loud can an amp go before it becomes inhumane, The Pretty Things have released one of the great sixties debuts.

These recordings were driven by **** Taylor, a guitarist who had a lot to prove since his former band mates had made it big with The Rolling Stones. It’s probably understandable then that he wanted to do things his way; with the help of a band who were equally uncompromising, they forced Fontana to leave quickly after they signed the cheques through fear for their lives.

This album begins with the Bo Diddley number, Roadrunner, unlike the original and other cover versions, there is no sign of a “Beep Beep” with this one, it’s completely raw and primal, a lot like the rest of the 26 minutes of this LP. Judgement Day is up next, another harmonica drizzled feast for the depraved.

This album is certainly a raw and edgy affair, with more instantly likeable songs like Big City, Oh Baby Doll, with another Chuck Berry song closing the album off nicely, with the gorgeous Don’t Lie To Me. But the fun doesn’t stop there, in later years this album has been reissued with some extra songs from The Pretty Things 65’ period; the pick of these is Rosalyn, marvellous stuff.

This album certainly is not for the faint hearted, it often gets messy and dishevelled to say the least in places. But to their credit The Pretty Things have recorded something quite hostile and uncompromising here, an album which wears its heart on it sleeve, this is pure and proper Rhythm and Blues, no fads, no trickery, no cons, just the proper music you’d expect from this legendary band. Someone should probably make a movie about this lot.

Last edited by TheCellarTapes; 11-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote