Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Song Shuffle
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #658 (permalink)
foot
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Morrissey and The Smiths are one of those acts that i just could never get into aside from 1 song that turned out to be the least reflective of their overall style (How Soon is Now).

anyway tonight's 10

1 - Soundgarden - Sub Pop Rock City - one of the few times the overt humour from this band is in the forefront. that Kim Thayil bit about the sideburns gets me everytime haha can we have our drummer back please? hahaha

2 - Beck - Hollow Log - the original folky-guy Beck. one of the few truly alternative acts to come from the 90s.

3 - Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream (Aphex Twin remix) - it's RDJ, it's what it is, even remixes lose their originality and become something of his. in some cases (like the lemonheads remix) there's absolutely nothing of the original left in the track. in their case the courier came to pick up the remix and he hadn't worked on it at all (the original was rubbish) so he gave them some work in progress thing just to shut them up. hahaha

4 - Modeski Martin and Wood - Take me Nowhere - yep. they're not bad, but they're supposedly filled with all this amazing 'potential' but it all feels too familiar. the outro is almost redeeming then goes long.

5 - Frank Zappa - This is all Wrong - one of the Civilization Phase III random quote things

6 - Autechre - Vletrmx21 - one of their more melodic tracks, most of their stuff is very dissonant bordering on a drum machine cacophony, this is not one of those haha

7 - DJ Shadow - Lonely Soul (live) - not sure who's rapping at the start but it's hella solid. a little too melancholic after that when it's on it's own (part of a mix)

8 - Aphex Twin - Grey Stripe - this one is from Selected Ambient Works vol. 2 either one of those discs is awesome for sleeping. i'm not in the mood for sleeping. *skip*

9 - Monster Magnet - Too Bad - a song about being a burnout. i've always really really liked this band. they've changed over the years but their last album is stronger than the previous few by a lot.

10 - Thelonius Monk - Straight no Chaser - it's almost like a twist on melody from Epistrophy (or vice versa) with different changes hehe. that's not a bad thing either.

not a whole lot of stand out tracks on their own. it was a toss up between Monster Magnet and Soundgarden. i went with the serious track over the joke hehe.
Monster Magnet are quite the amazement. In both their drug-induced ridiculousness, and their serious moments. 'See You In Hell' is one of my favourite songs of all time.

1. Check Your Smile - Elora Danan

2. Isak - Baroness

3. I'm A Steady Rollin' Man - Robert Johnson

4. Sweet Hitch-Hiker - Creedence Clearwater Revival

5. Reckless Life - Guns N' Roses

6. Dead Horse - Guns N' Roses

7. Dirty Hearts - Dallas Crane

8. Hell Bound - Pantera

9. Figure Things Out - Israel Cannan

10. Enough For Me - Robert Cray

Weird mix, 'Check Your Smile' is a ridiculously solid song, coming from a small Perth band. The dual vocalist thing the band have really comes into it's own in this song, it's just a shame the rest of their catalogue isn't up to quite the same standard.
foot is offline   Reply With Quote