Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #179 (permalink)
savannah
afrocentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
By their new stuff do you mean: Ryan Bingham - Roadhouse Sun, Jason Boland - Comal County Blue, and CCR - Happiness & All The Other Things?

Hate to admit it but I have all three of those and haven't had much of a chance to really listen to them because I'm so far behind in my "listen to" list.
Thanks for the heads up on Matt Powell - I've found a couple of his albums and will add them to to the ever-expanding listening queue. BTW, I've found the blog Sed de Musica as a good source about the Texas/red dirt scene.
alot of people are claimin thats some of bolands best,...now i dont know about all that, but its getting alot of great feed back and yes thats what i ment by all those albums,.....the bingham is just,...really ****in good,....but i have a soft spot for bingham
from the last album the words "Money can't buy my soul because it comes from a hard earned place" - Bingham, have really ment alot to me

make sure to give a good listen to the new CCRw, its so different and makes me extremely proud of the boys

so i checked out that blog you mentioned and it has alot of good stuff in it, but alot of crap too

i enjoyed the vast scott copeland nod,...if you are unaware of him, but are versed in CCRw, you might know his song lighthouse keeper, that CCRw recorded
scott copeland is gold, and used to play alot of acoustic shows with mike mcclure,...

lets just talk about mike mcclure for a few mins,...
he's kinda like the granddaddy of the red dirt scene, once a member of the great divide (which suck without him) i think his first solo album was 'everything upside down' but i may be wrong on my dates,....anyway, if you dont have any,...run,....trampled people,....go get some rite now,...
the beginin of his solo carrer has alot of stacked guitars that created a full bold sound, specially in this market,....most of that was due to rodney pyatte,...after he left mike he started playin for stoney larue,.....which was a beautiful mariage until rodney left to do his own thing a few years ago.....stoney shows just havent been the same since,...i feel sorry for those who pick up on his now and dont remember the rodney days because they really were something,...pyatt's son jake also has his hand in the music and is doin really well, not quite there yet, but has so much potential,...anyway i digress

old mcclure is more country, new mcclure is more rock,....his base player now is a guy named tom skinner who wrote a song called 'blind man' that has been covered by everyone and is one of my fav songs,...he's a pretty good base player too, though constantly looks zoned out

personally i'm more of a fan of early mike, but i really respect what he is doin now,....

he used to be affiliated with dirty bird records, which was partly travis linville,....if you play guitar or really have any kind of understanding of it technically this guy is for you,....check out the album he did with the brushetti (sp?) brothers

i dont really remember where i was going with all this, so ill just stop now, other wise it will be more convoluted that it already is

if you ever want any recommendations, i would love love love to help you,...just stay way from the randy rogers,..bless his little retard teddy rupskin heart

all that time, wasted
i wish i was a little more delicate
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my name was clementine - sarah jaffe
savannah is offline   Reply With Quote