Music Banter - View Single Post - The anti offical black metal thread
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #58 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Ulver are most certainly not one of the earliest black metal bands. By the time their first album was released, there was a plethora of bands playing BM.

Quote:
I've been interested in checking out some Bathory. Anybody got any recommendations for albums?
Their first album is the strongest - a strong punk influence is quite evident. They kept this spirit, to a lesser extent, all the way up the third album. After that, the musical quality went down hill rather quickly, as form replaced substance.

EDIT: The first 3 Bathory albums are, self titled, The Return, and Under the Sign of the Black Mark.

Quote:
A few people I know that are into Black Metal tend to write Opeth off as wannabes, pussies or sell-outs. **** that.
The critique I'd make of Opeth is their song writing; it's lacking. Their songs come off like a salad - a bunch of disparate parts lacking continuity and structure.

To disparage the very real and pertinent critiques of Opeth as simply being issued by close minded jocks does little to further the discussion of their music.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote