Music Banter - View Single Post - Fake Plastic Band (Music Video Games)
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i'm really hesitant to call them cash grabs. especially when the titles drop in price relatively quickly, and are relatively cross compatible. it's not like they need to reinvent the wheel every time they release a new take on the game, the bulk of the product are the actual songs, the charts and blocks really aren't that complicated to create (in terms of digital assets). subsequent releases are less about buying a new 'game' and more about new content.

if anything the increase in titles shows how relatively simple it is for developpers to create more content for the titles (and how popular they actually are in the market - regardless of the opinions presented here). which in turn offers more music for gamers. yes, there's crap on there, but there's always at least 2-3 really standout tracks and at least a dozen decent tracks as well as some nice surprises.

as for the lawsuits... when's the last time Courtney Love did anything noteworthy besides file a lawsuit? (seriously though, when was the last time? Celebrity Skin? wiki says... oh wow, she put out a solo album after Hole... 5 years ago.)

why didn't she sue when Cobain's likeness would end up on stage during a Bon Jovi song in the first rockband?

No Doubt and the rest of Nirvana? same deal. neither group seemed to have issues with their association with the games initially. if it's a case of the developpers acting without consulting that would be a worthwhile issue, but it's also something that gets drilled into your head pretty quickly when you work as a developper. especially after the fallout from the GTA3 'hot coffee' lawsuits.

plus there are reports that Love knew exactly what the deal was with the new Guitar Hero game. so i'm more inclined to believe it's the rockstars not paying attention to the fine print.... speaking of cash grabs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote