Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #357 (permalink)
Schizotypic
Souls of Sound Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by delieterkop View Post
What it sounds to me like you're getting at is you exist. Just like the rest of us.
The point of that five paragraphs was that I have a higher power that is personal to me and that I use and gain from, and that is my belief. It was certainly not that I exist just like anybody else, although I do, that wasn't the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
belief is a finicky thing, and i think it's getting all twisted up in the title of this thread.

it's certainly possible to believe there is a god. i can't exactly relate to this belief, but i know plenty of people who do believe.

but to believe there is not a god? well that's just a waste of time. i can run around not-believing in flying pigs and all sorts of other oddities, but what's the point?

it's like the label 'atheism'. why should i define myself in terms of what i don't believe? if that's the way we roll, then i'm also an a-flyingpig-ist, along with an infinite number of other such absurd labels...
That was a great point. I think the word atheist is implying a strong stance against religion. Although on the other hand, with so many religions, non-believers should have something to respond with when asked "What religion are you?"

Last edited by Schizotypic; 11-07-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Schizotypic is offline   Reply With Quote