Music Banter - View Single Post - Squirrel Bait Family Tree ~ Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #43 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Default introducing..

Doug Scharin

Along with John McEntire, the Squirrel Bait family also has Doug Scharin in its ancestry. The man is a drum genius. Choose your favorite drummer and Scharin is as good or better. What makes Doug special, though, is how he applies his talent. He is a rare artist who plays what he feels when he feels it. The proof is that hardly anybody gives a fuck about his music even though he has been a consistent innovator for decades. This is not to say that the man is an indie musician who can't play his instrument but makes entertaining sounds like some kind of Machiavellian schemer. I mean that Doug Scharin is a highly skilled drummer. He is up there with Buddy Rich and Dave Lombardo. He played and continues to play music that speaks to the soul of humankind. He is a goddamn good drummer.

The next 3 albums that I will review all feature Doug on the drums. Without intentions to detract from the other musicians in the bands who made the albums, I will say that I am not sure that I would be reviewing any of them here and now if Doug Scharin did not play drums on them 10-15 years ago.