Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #141 (permalink)
Ulysses
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCellarTapes View Post
Now you've done it!
To be fair, its so well written Ulysses how can anyone argue.
I think it's probably more of a lump hammer than the insightful rapier that I'd rather it been. I won't ever write anything as long as that again here, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
That was a good read, above.

You really have a point in this. I actually always wondered, how can we call Sgt Pepper's the best album in History, when in my opinion, it's not even the best Beatles album. Tho in many cases, I agreed with it being the best album without considering it my favorite Beatles album (which seems a bit contradicting).
Ugh! You managed to sum it up in a sentence whereas I spent 10,000 words too many on saying more or less the same thing. It's similar to the famous quote about Ringo not being the best drummer in Beatles, never mind the world: Sgt Pepper wasn't even the best Beatles' album, never mind the best album in the world.

Quote:
You also have a point in Sgt Pepper's not being the most innovative album, not even remotely innovative as it was all done before in previous Beatles albums.
That's my big bone of contention with Sgt Pepper. A lot of praise for music is purely subjective and in the 'ear of the listener', but claims about more tangible things such as 'Sgt Pepper was brilliant because it so original/innovative/whatever' can be scrutinised and, when they are, they don't really stand-up to that scrutiny.

When I think of the most important album of The Beatles, it's between Rubber Soul and Revolver, cause that's when the metamorphosis was happening. And talking about the influence Sgt Pepper's has brought, we can notice that after this album, even The Beatles were doing the opposite by returning to their roots.

Quote:
** Tho I sincerely think, that the most psychedelic and the best of them all was The Magical Mystery Tour, but I guess the movie cursed this album and destroyed the name.
I'm never that great with identifying favourites as such, but I much prefer Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine to Sgt Pepper, and certainly more than the White Album.