Music Banter - View Single Post - Tool- "Aenima"
Thread: Tool- "Aenima"
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
APCTOOL91
TOOL's biggest tool

Default Tool- "Aenima"

Hey so I decided after some pretty positive comments I recieved from my other review, I would review Tool's second full length album, "Aenima."

Artist- Tool
Album- Aenima
Release Date- October 1, 1996
Label- Zoo Entertainment
Length- 77:23

Sound: This album take a much more different approach then their previous albums, "Opiate," and "Undertow." There is a personal feel to the album (as it is considered a tribute to comedian Bill Hicks, who the band, especially Maynard felt was doing what they were doing except in a different approach). Tracks like "Stinkfist," "Eulogy," "H." and "Push-it," aren't neccesarily "Heavy" but are unique in their own way. The overall themes of the album cover everything from personal experiences to philosophy. The album uses a mix of heavy to somewhat heavy and even little segues between songs to give you a rest. Maynard's voice is still AMAZING and uses all of his different lyrical approaches and styles to full use. Adam Jones has some AMAZING guitar playing, solos like in "Eulogy" and "Third Eye" make it such an enigma of an album. Paul D'Amor left the band, and his replacement was Justin Chancellor who has some intense bass riffs, including my favorite from "Forty-Six and Two." Of course he evolves musically and becomes a force to be reckoned with later on their next two albums, "Lateralus," and "10,000 Days." And then there is Danny Carey who in my opinion is the BEST drummer EVER! His use of polyrythyms and unique sounds get me everytime.

Tracks:

"Stinkfist"- This song is about addictions and how people go deeper and deeper just to get that rush, and Maynard uses the sexual term "fisting" as a great metaphor. People do these things just so they can feel alive. Favorite lines: "It's not enough I need more Nothing seems to satisfy I don't want it I just need it To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive." 9/10

"Eulogy"- You can easily interpret this in so many ways, a song about Jesus or even Bill Hicks? Your choice. Love the breakdown when Danny hitting the cymbals and just a strange beat yet so AWESOME! Favorite Lines: "You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?" 9/10

"H."- The first song I heard of the album and I believe one of the most powerful. Not sure what it is about, but I think it could be about good and evil and a relationship between Maynard and his son Devo H. Keenan. Love the power riffs and Maynard's voice is chilling and powerful. Favorite Lines: "The snake behind me hisses What my damage could have been My blood before me begs me Open up my heart again."

"Useful Idiot"- A nice little segue between two tracks, I've heard many interpertations, but I think its just a track to help you digest the album so far. No rating

"Forty-Six and Two"- My favorite bassline on the album, it explores Drunvalo Melchizedek's idea of an evolution of human chromosomes. And Carl Jung's philosophy of "The Shadow." (As a psychology major I find this song very meaningful and cool). Love the odd time signature too. Favorite Lines: "My shadow Change is coming Now is my time Listen to my muscle memory
Contemplate what I've been clinging to Forty six and two ahead of me." 9/10

"Message to Harry Manback"- A message from Maynard's landlord, with such a calm and peaceful beackground music it distracts the listener away from the landlord's death message. 7/10

"Hooker With A Penis"- Good metaphorical use by Maynard haha. Such a heavy song about Maynard's view on "selling out" its pretty catchy too. Its also a message to all the Tool fans that Tool has not sold out, and before you say that you should listen to Maynard (AKA "The Man"). 8/10

"Intermission"- Another segue, set as organ-fied carnival feel to "Jimmy's" opening riff. No rating.

"Jimmy"- Love the opening riff so HEAVY! Its a song about Maynard trying to get over his abuse (as heard in the song "Prison Sex") also Maynard's mother Judith Marie Keenan had her life changing stroke when he was just 11. Maynard's voice is so chilling. 9/10

"Die Eier von Satan"- Just a simple cookie recipe, spoken in German, to sound like a Hitler propaganda speech. Its pretty awesome though. 7.5/10

"Push-it"- My FAVORITE track on the album, I think it explains a strain on a relationship, how people push and shove love on someone even though they do not want that. Truly a poetic song. 10/10

"Ceasaro Summabiltity"- The title refers to: Cesaro Summation: is an alternative means of assigning a sum to an infinite series. So maybe it means that there are infinite ways to interpret the album?

"Aenema"- Easily about the fact that L.A. should sink into the the ocean for the ****hole it is. Based off Bill Hicks' comedy routine. One of the best tracks off the album. 10/10

"(-) Ions"- I think this song represents energy, its a very chill song great to just sleep to. 7/10

"Third Eye"- This song is the best way to end this album. It opens with Bill Hicks' comedy routine and the third eye is a pathway to human evolution and the awakening of the spiritual self. Love this song and I think its supposed to open your mind and experience things you never thought possible. 10/10

Overall Rating: 10/10

http://www.last.fm/user/RogueS7a7us
APCTOOL91 is offline   Reply With Quote