Music Banter - View Single Post - ocean and silence's sentience
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAndSilence View Post
babel

over centuries we built brittle sheds
now we wander over weathered treads

we fill the cusp of death valley
we wait for the deluge to flow our way

in fractured ruins we ululate, and throw it all away.
Hi OceanAndSilence,
I listened to both "Babel" and "Happy Days" and especially like the shifts in energy in "Babel," which has a lot in it musically. I didn't expect that because the lyrics are so short! I enjoy the thoughtfulness of your lyrics--they have a wide scope (looking at humanity's tendencies, divisions, lack of appreciation for things, and feelings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAndSilence View Post
i will have recordings of some of my songs up soon. here is my latest foray, entitled 'happy days'

doesn't matter where i go
there's no one i know
it's all senseless words
in measured indulgences

sadness dapples the streets
in the glances that fail to meet my eyes
and it all conflates to
an overwhelming trinket

it's raining again

raining... inside my head

i've been digging a long time
i know you must get low for the gold
under all that dirt makes me feel to let go

it's raining again

raining... inside my head

[bridge]
rainin' repeatx8
and i'm runnin'
runninx8

runnin' away, again

when my skin is splotched and my hairs are grey
and all the dross of life has floated away
i'll look back upon this place
thinking "those were the happy days"

thinking... these are the happy days.

once i get the mix/master of the song i'll upload it... i recorded it (with a vintage tape machine!) today.
I especially like the line, "in the glances that fail to meet my eyes" because I also feel it is sad when people walk along streets ignoring each other, and the line, "all the dross of life has floated away" to describe what you think it may feel like becoming old.

I had wondered, reading the lyrics, if the phrase "happy days" would trouble me when I listened to it (because I probably watched all the "Happy Days" episodes with the Fonz when I was growing up), but it didn't...it felt more like the nostalgia of looking back on life, which is what I think you meant.

One line I was confused about was "under all that dirt makes me feel to let go." Do you mean it makes you feel like you *want* to let go? I felt as if some words were missing.

The "Happy Days" song is much more leisurely than the first song, with fewer unexpected changes musically, so it may not hold people's interest as well as the first one does (which depends on the person, of course!). In both songs I like all the emotion you put into them...you seem very much in the moment, and that comes across in your singing/playing.

--Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote