Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #147 (permalink)
Ulysses
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
You're right... mostly.

There are five songs that appeared on the U.S. version Magical Mystery Tour that originally were singles that were recorded at various sessions in 1966 and 1967 and released at different dates in 1967.
Ah, this boils down to which is the real Magical Mystery Tour, I suppose. I'm aware of the differences between the American release and the British release, but I generally take the British releases, at least during the Beatles' lifetime as a band, as the real thing if that makes any sense. Everything else being things tailored for foreign markets. Maybe it's because I'm British/English, I don't know.

That's why, to me, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane are songs taken from a 7" single and 'All You Need is Love' and 'Baby You're a Rich Man' are either tracks taken from a single or something tacked on to 'Yellow Submarine' and so on.

With regards to Penny Lane, whilst dates of various things do overlap, the way I see it is that if 'When I'm 64' is a Sgt Pepper tune and that tune was recorded before Penny Lane (there's actually no overlap between the recording dates of these tunes as far as I'm aware) then Penny Lane was actually recorded during the Sgt Pepper sessions.