Music Banter - View Single Post - Wilco
Thread: Wilco
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #55 (permalink)
million dollar basher
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
I've never really listened to Wilco. I will readily admit I heard they were alt country, then listened to one or two songs of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot without really paying attention, then completely dismissed the band. I was a little bit of a dumbass back then. So I'm basically just like your roommate. It's something I really want to check out now though. I'm assuming Yankee Hotel Foxtrot would be the best place to start? That's the one I always hear great things about.
Aah, these guys have been a personal favorite since I was in Junior High. I would try to go about listening to Wilco as chronologically as possible. Start with "A.M", or even start with the Uncle Tupelo albums, and head up through "Being There", "Summerteeth", etc. You'll have a greater, deeper understanding of their transformation from alt. country rockers; to pop balladeers (Summerteeth); to indie, sonic landscapers (YHF); to their more mature incarnations on albums like "A Ghost is Born" (my personal favrorite). "Sky Blue Sky" is a great introduction to their current lineup, getting listeners aqcuainted with the capabilities of the group's individual talents, as well as their cohesiveness as a band. "Wilco (the album)" shows this lineup as they've settled in and become more comfortable with one another. Either way, I'd try to experience their material in a way that mimics the release dates of their albums. Just an opinion.
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote