Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #1071 (permalink)
storymilo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
That's weird, I'm rather the opposite in that I usually find FPS games to be more immersive. When an NPC talks to me in Half-Life 2, I feel like he or she is addressing me, the player. In games like Mass Effect, they address the character - I feel more distanced to what goes on.

Now HL2 isn't an rpg, but the same is true for games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. For the same reason, I find FPSes like Bioshock, the latest Call of Cthulhu and F.E.A.R. are comparatively creepier than other kinds of games.
Haha well I love Half Life 2, my favorite game ever if you look at my list. Bioshock is also a game I enjoyed, but I haven't played it much. I meant more that I'm not a huge fan of (but I can still enjoy) games like Halo or Call of Duty that really just tell me to go places and shoot things. Half Life actually has one of my favorite stories of any game I've played. The whole thing is so mysterious and still makes me care about the characters.

Also, in RPG's, since you are often allowed to make decisions that will affect the game (unlike in games like Half Life, Call of Duty, or Halo), and I usually make choices based on who I am, I don't feel more distanced from the game. I actually feel more involved, because the things that I choose to do actually matter.

All of this also explains why I'm not really a fan of MMO's. I don't mind the idea of playing with other players, but I like to know, in a game where I'm going to develop a character, that things I do will actually have some effect and change the world around me. That's why I'm really excited about the upcoming MMO "The Old Republic", because supposedly things you do will actually matter. Also it's Star Wars
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote