Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you get introduced to extreme metal?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Default How did you get introduced to extreme metal?

I got into extreme metal in a rather weird way; I was into the whole industrial scene. Throbbing Gristle, Killing Joke, :Wumpscut:, KMFDM, Pig, etc.

Around age 15 I listened to Streetcleaner, and it blew my mind. It changed the way I viewed industrial. After a few weeks, I learned of Godflesh's connections to Napalm Death, and how they influenced all these br000tal metal bands, etc.

Like many, the cookie monster vocals put me off. But, eventually, the riff on Napalm Death's "breed to breathe" caught my ear, so I bought the album "Inside the Torn Apart" - my first extreme metal album. I came to like the cookie monster vocals. From there I got Napalm Death's first two releases, Repulsion, Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, etc.

Then, in a very short period of time, death metal, grindcore, and black metal was about 90% of my listening. In a space of 2 years I wound up with a hundred or so extreme metal albums.

While my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since then, I still listen to extreme metal. Every once in a while, when I start get frustrated with music, thinking it all sounds far too similar - I'll play 'Scum', and enjoy some wonderfully weird music.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote