Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you get introduced to extreme metal?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

That's somewhat similar to me actually, except that I was already pretty familiar with metal. Growing up in the late 80s and early 90s most of my friends listened to thrash and death metal. At the time I thought it was kind of cool and I enjoyed hearing it when I was hanging out with my friends but it just wasn't my cup of tea, I was much more interested in indie-type stuff from that era and then a little later on the whole Wax Trax/Mute/Cleopatra thing. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I started getting nostalgic for some of that metal that my fiends were had been into and I started buying some of it. Eventually it went beyond just a nostalgia trip for me and I started getting flat-out interested in loud, fucked up metal. Because I came at it from kind of a weird direction though I have to confess I have a pretty low threshold for really cheesy and/or cliche metal.

And, yes, like you Godflesh was one of the few metal bands I actively listened to back in my early days. I'm still a hugh JK Broadrick fan.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote