Music Banter - View Single Post - New to indie
Thread: New to indie
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Let's see... this is tough, because the genre is really really wide open.

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea from In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

The best band in my opinion from the Elephant 6 Collective, these guys blended indie rock, pop, and the occasional bit of noise with healthy doses of experimentation and played with all sorts of instruments.

2. Pavement - Summer Babe (Winter Version) fromSlanted and Enchanted

This is the epitome of 90s indie rock, the lo-fi alternative sound was done perfectly on Pavement's first album.

3. Dinosaur Jr. - The Lung from You're Living All Over Me

Early indie rock from the 80's, this album is heavy noise rock done perfectly in J. Mascis' laid back, nothing else matters style.

4. Eels - Last Stop: This Town from Electro-Shock Blues

This should be a lot more accessible than the first 3 songs on the list, I realize if you're listening to more mainstream those first songs might be a bit much. This is more straightforward indie rock by the genius E, one of my favorites from the Eels.

5. Belle & Sebastian - Seeing Other People from If You're Feeling Sinister

This is probably my favorite indie pop album, and this is my favorite song from the album. Should be another pretty accessible song.

Really, don't base your opinion of indie off of these songs. The genre is hugely varied; these are 5 of my absolute favorites but there are so many different sounds in indie. I chose these because they're all pretty different and I feel these bands are the epitome of their respective sounds.

Last edited by music_phantom13; 11-11-2009 at 08:25 AM.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote