Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bass thread
Thread: The Bass thread
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #181 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i have to say Warwick is one of those companies that really appeals to me but i just can't stand their trademark 'thumb' style for the top horn on most of their bass models. it's just so aesthetically unpleasing to me that i end up passing them by in the store. but i have looked at their electric uprights more than once.
Too phallic? hahaha

Quote:
VocalsBass I would guess resting your thumb on the B-string is to kill the sustain of the string, at least that is the only reason I would do it, which I have done before when using certain bass effects. The attitude that only good bass players use their fingers instead of a pick arrived from the transition from stand up bass to electric bass, which is an untrue statement, and arrogent in my opinion. Using a pick for me gives me more speed, & I like the crisp dynamics I get better. I will use my fingers if I want a softer tone. Although, there are alot of bass players that are about as fast as one could be on bass that use there fingers only. Whatever works for you!, is what to apply.
Yeah, I never used a pick until we wrote a song that had a really fast, chugging part on the lowest string. I wrote that part with my fingers, but when it came to playing it with the guitar and drums, it just sounded muddy at the higher volume. So, time to adapt. I think the attitude that people have when they say that "only real players" use their fingers or only play four strings or whatever is just a product of jealousy or small sight. When they see somebody totally kicking ass with a 6 string bass and shredding with a pick, they just say, "Oh! Why doesn't he just play guitar?! That's basically all he's doing!" Bullshit. I say any instrument could and should be played in as many styles and methods as possible. No boundaries. Fuck it. If you can do a back flip while tapping an arpeggio and breathing fire, I say fuckin' go for it! In fact, that's my dream.