Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #143 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
Yeah... **** it I'm wiping everything and restoring. I think I downloaded a bad file, I have all sorts of questionable stuff after downloading a supposed album.
That's kind of a drastic response to a single malware incident, but do what you gotta do.
Afterwards, it'd be a good idea for you to install one of the two top free anti-virus programs available on the net: AVAST, or AVG. Both are great, but I personally vouch for Avast.

When that's all set up, resume life... but make this one small change: Scan everything you download from uncertain sources with your virus program prior to opening/executing.
Avast will alert you when there's malware present in any data that is being downloaded to your computer, or if malware attempts to download itself to your computer, Avast will alert you and let you abort the connection... This basically prevents viruses and spyware from ever getting on your computer in the first place, but if something sneaks past in a user-initiated download, you can doublesure by right clicking the file and selecting "scan filename".
Quick, easy, painless.

My computer hasn't been infected with any kind of malware in over 3 years.
Not too shabby if you ask me.