Music Banter - View Single Post - Bang your head to 50 great albums.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
Raust
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
#46. Electric Wizard-Dopethrone (2000)

It rips off Black Sabbath! Who cares! It's bloody brilliant. Unlike many so called 'stoner' bands (who I won't include in this list), EW's sound is certainly not the groove blues based sound that it so indicative of that genre. Instead EW go for the huge sludgy riffs that we all want to hear but lose the polished sound of similar bands that smacks of an easy cop out to me.

The production sounds like a guy has just stuck a mic on all the amps and recorded it ad hoc and didn't bother mixing the album, thus giving us a warts and all 'live' feel to the album.

It is certainly one of the heaviest albums I have ever heard and that raw quality is to be commended in this day and age of over-production. Once again I won't comment on every single track and instead advise you to just download the damn thing and have your head blown off!

Sure there are negatives. Many tracks are nothing more than a collection of riffs and song structure is not a forte but when all you want is riffs, riffs and more riffs then it fit's the bill admirably.

Think that the desert scene captures a raw sludgy sound in all it's glory? Pah! You haven't heard anything yet!

Ha I love this album one of my all time favorite's!
Raust is offline   Reply With Quote