Music Banter - View Single Post - Band Age Limits?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post

I think someone like Seasick Steve would be a much better example.
novelty act, the idiot savant thing has warmed our cold british hearts.. it's like a bad movie

In response to the guy who started this thread, if you hit 30 (and look any older than early-mid 20's) and still haven't 'made it', i wouldn't get your hopes up. If you were to get signed by a major tomorrow and they touted you as 'the next whoever' and you sold tickets, and managed to do so consistently over a few years, you could conceivably maintain a career out of it a la Flaming Lips.
So the only way to get around the ageism in pop/rock music (with the odd exception) is to already be well established and have a loyal fanbase. Unless you're seasick f*cking steve.

And i can't think of any examples but i'm sure there are plenty of thirty-somethings doing well in less conspicuous genres like electronica (where the performance/exposure aspect is minimal)... I know there are one or two successful DJs out there who were in failed 90's indie bands. But yeah, f*cked if i can remember who they are. Appleblim is one possibly.

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote