Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill - Anteater's Reviews of the Curious & Obscure
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #68 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Vangelis - The Dragon (1971)

Track Listing

1. The Dragon (15:12)
2. Stuffed Aubergine (11:19)
3. Stuffed Tomato (9:28)

When the name Vangelis comes up, I'm sure images of broken cities and flaming chariots and New Age wankery are brought to mind for most who are familiar with his reputation. Hence my surprise then to find out out that Vangelis's earliest album within his vast body of work is also the most interesting and striking music he's ever brought to completion, a very rare and brilliantly illustrated little slice of jammin' psychedelia simply called The Dragon, which is the subject of this revew.

This trio of pieces, each liquid in their flow/structure and hinged upon setting mood and pace by alternating between frenzied acoustics and chilled out Middle Eastern jams, is truly inspired stuff if truth be told. Opening title track encapsulates the mood of an oriential Opium den with some VERY thick feedback and drumming. Although nothing groundbreaking, its one of the better psychedelic jams from the early 70's and fairly memorable on the whole despite the 15-minute length.

The remaining two pieces, 'Stuffed Aubergine' and 'Stuffed Tomato' respectively, are welcome contrasts to the weight of the opener. 'Aubergine' specifically, which is my favorite track here, possesses a particularly bright mood using flutes and the strumming of an acoustic guitar to evoke the morning rising over a sea somewhere. Very easy to get lost in when you aren't paying attention, but that's probably the point.

Overall, although far from well known and disliked by Vangelis himself for some reason, its refreshingly different from nearly anything else you'll find in this bloke's discography and will appeal to anyone looking for some extremely well done psychedelia from the genre's prime years.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 11-16-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote