Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #832 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

The Raveonettes - Whip It On

Me and the Raveonettes go waaaaaaaaay back... kinda. They first came to my attention a good 5 or 6 years ago when a few tunes of theirs would pop up on the music channels or radio back when I used to pay any attention to such things. I never got into them myself at the time, so when Mojo offered me this one, it felt like I was getting in touch with my roots again (to put it nice and pretentiously).

I remember liking whatever songs I'd heard of theirs before this (can't remember which ones for the life of me) and, to my surprise, that good impression hadn't waned at all in all those years since. Basically, I loved the album. Normally shoegaze simply isn't my thing at all, but the combination with dirty, good old-fashioned garage rock really worked wonders with this one. I liked the deadpan vocal delivery as well. The whole thing reminded me a lot of early BRMC. Regarding favourite tracks, it's an almost seamless level of quality that runs throughout the album, but I'd say the middle trio Chains, Cops On Our Tail and My Tornado went down best with me.

All in all, very good stuff.

By the way, if we do only end up with four participants in the next draw (which is looking increasingly likely), we might as well just all swap albums between us.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote