Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #10189 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Meh, I never get depressed on alcohol. I'm not sure if there are physical/chemical factors involved in the brain, or if it's dependent on the general mental state at the time of consumption, but I would venture to guess that the reason behind drinking has an effect on the outcome.
Basically, if you're drinking to have fun, you'll have fun. But if you're drinking to escape the emotional weight of a problem, you may eventually circle back around to it.
I'm no expert, but it's the general trend I seem to notice.
A lot of the time, I think regular drinkers don't really know why they drink. Most times regular drinkers may give themselves an acceptable excuse, but sometimes it may be something a little deeper and more influential that they're choosing to not acknowledge.
If you find yourself always ending up with an emotional common denominator when you drink, it may be worth it to analyze that denominator and evaluate whether that has any connection to your motivation for drinking.

I'm using "you" in a general sense, obviously, but I think it's a solid way of thinking if you think it's worth looking at.
Basically it comes down to challenging yourself and questioning your own motives. Always a good thing. And a lot of times you find answers to questions you never knew were there.

All the best
J.
The fun ended around 2001 I think! I get what you are saying but there is no apparent reason for partaking at all but you can only have so much fun with drinking I guess and the longer it goes on, the more it becomes a genuine habit and an easy way out of accepting who you are.

I have drunk since I was 15 and by that I mean a lot. I'm now 37 and still at it. Oddly enough it has never ever got in the way of day to day functioning and I very very rarely drink during the day but I think it's a personal triumph if I manage 2 nights in a row without drinking. I think it's classed as 'Alcohol Dependant' or some such crap by the 'ordinary folk'.

Is this an MB 'AA' meeting? I feel like I'm in confession! I do know WHY I drink though and it's not some deep seated personal hatred etc I just feel more confident and alive when I have had a few for some reason. MEH. In the morning I will cringe when I read this back!

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote