Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning Music Theory (Input Needed)
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Were you self-taught? - yes

Did you get private instruction or other instrument training? - not really. my uncle taught me how to read a chord book and pointed out the major and minor shapes i should learn on my first day with a guitar, and a friend's older brother taught me barre chord theory. everything else came from Guitar World magazines for the most part.

Have you been fine without theory if you never formally learned? - absolutely, but just because i didn't have formal training doesn't mean i haven't figured out or taught myself various elements of theory as well.

Did you pick up on it right away, or did you have to really work at it? - i was 16 and already had a job when i started so i was self disciplined enough by then to be able to pick it up relatively quickly but it still required work.

What would've helped you pick up on it faster? - having other people to play with.

Was it a single method or did you learn from multiple experiences? - only morons limit their learning experiences or methods. my initial technique came from using tabs to learn how to play along to my favourite albums from the day (OH NO!). when i got to college i finally met people to play with and developed my improvisational skills while establishing some level of theoretical knowledge to support it.

Thanks! - you're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote