Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning Music Theory (Input Needed)
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicTyro View Post
I would like to get some input from the community about how you may have learned music theory and ear training.

Were you self-taught? Did you get private instruction or other instrument training?

Have you been fine without theory if you never formally learned?

Did you pick up on it right away, or did you have to really work at it?

What would've helped you pick up on it faster?

Was it a single method or did you learn from multiple experiences?

No need to answer the questions exactly as posted. Just some of the information I'm trying to gain.

I'd like to get as many different viewpoints as possible, as I'm going to be publishing a series of articles/learning tools on the subject.

Thanks!
Bret P.
I'd answer it this way. its easiest to learn while learning an instrument. ou're going to get all three methods of learning; reading, hearing, and doing.

Musical theory isn't something you'll use much at first, but consider it a fast pass to the very edge of musical advancement. like everything else Humans write down, it lets you cut to the chace of figuring things out that have not been done before.

Its also an agreed upon set of terminology, so if you're talking to other musicians about what you want, thoery makes it less of a guessing game.

Sting once said " If you have a major chord followed by a relative minor, you're not original." That probably doesn't mean a damn thing to you unless you know the theory behind it.

It really depends what you're looking for. From the original post (OP) you said you wanted to learn "theory." Without practical applications its equivelent to learning a language that you never speak outside of class. Its tough to recall things without using them.