Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Classical Music considered to be inherently superior to all else?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicTyro View Post
I would like to see a greater appreciation for classical music though. Just as classical purists disregard popular music, those on the other side of the spectrum denounce classical music as "boring" or "stuck up".

Classical composers were the rock stars of their day, leading pretty controversial lives, and their music tells a story. The complexity and genius of their works shouldn't be dismissed.
I agree with you on both points, Bret. I like the image of classical composers being the rock stars of their day, defying convention and shocking audiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
throw on a Frank Zappa album and see if that doesn't defy all stereotypes of rock music being simplistic and repetitive.
Yes, I'll have to try out some Frank Zappa on my "classic-ophile" and see how he takes that. I'm trying to tempt him out of the classical genre. You are certainly right, SATCHMO, that there are pieces within any genre that defy stereotypes.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote