Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Classical Music considered to be inherently superior to all else?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
PartisanRanger
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
Those people drive me insane... I'll never be able to stand anyone like that. Because to be honest, I don't feel that saying classical music is the most complex music is a valid argument at all. While the vast majority of rock in terms of music theory can't approach it, jazz is very similar. But where classical focuses on crafting a masterpiece, writing each note down as it comes to you, perfecting pieces of a song slowly over time, jazz is playing something how you feel it should be played, reinterpreting the piece differently each time. The only real diference I see there is that classical music is about playing the exact same notes every time while jazz is about improvisation. I can even understand where someone could argue that most other types of music in general aren't as technically complex as classical. But jazz is, and to me it just makes those people seem like huge hypocrites.

And Partisan Ranger, that is just not true. What about experimental rock? And there are always new genres of music being created, it's just that there are so many more artists making albums rather than classical music that there is bound to be more overlapping.
I never said that rock couldn't be experimental. Progressive rock indeed incorporates many of the characteristics I listed that are usually applied to classical and the movement has yielded many fantastic results. Neither is classical homogenous, there are arrangements in classical music that are simpler than anything you'll find on the pop charts (Philip Glass' music, for example). But based on my look into classical, I've found that the genre has those characteristics I mentioned in my last post more often than other genres in modern music.
PartisanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote