Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #4547 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Taste of Honey (1961) - Richardson

Standard piece of kitchen sink drama, commendable for the provocative subject matter (for that time) - interracial relationships, teenage pregnancy, homosexuality (although only implied) but I have to be honest and say I wasn't really engaged. I liked Saturday night, Sunday morning much more, probably because of Finney's commanding presence. Great acting though.

8 1/2 (1963) - Fellini

I like semi-autobiographical art so it was rather interesting guessing which bits were truth and which fiction but I have to say I prefer his non-"intellectual" films.

Offret (The Sacrifice) (1986) - Tarkovsky

Like most of his films, it was a chore to finish. What can I say, I'm a philistine. His later work is a little easier to understand (unlike say, The mirror or Stalker) but I don't care for theatracalities or contemplative grandstanding (I have nothing against it, I just don't respond to it well). The documentary on the second disc, "Directed by Tarkovsky", was particularly grating with the thoughtful baritone narrator poetically ruminating on his life's work. Couldn't watch more than a few minutes of it. Plus, I sort of mind that some of his most spectacular visual shots (levitating for example and the abundant use of dripping water) have been recycled in several films. In short, I was very bored. But hey, now I can say I've watched all his films...woot. :\

Out of the past (1947) - Tourneur

Standard noir, with a plot a tad too convoluted and drawn out. The cast is great though.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote