Music Banter - View Single Post - Jackhammer's Horror Corner
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #175 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

In response to both Lee and Pete:

So I watched Martyrs the other night and unfortunately I could not find the original version and I ended up watching the one with English overdubs... I think that took away from the acting a lot, as I couldn't really feel the intensity in the voices and match it with the expressions on their face.
To me that's a big thing because if the actors/actresses aren't completely convincing, I don't put a lot of effort into taking the movie seriously.

As far as the violence, I don't mind shocking scenes in movies JUST AS LONG as it's not done for merely the sake of being as shocking as possible and the only merit resulting from that, which is one of the reasons I don't watch most of the hack & slash movies out there.
I didn't think Martyrs was overdone in that respect. Thumbs up to that. The movie made sure that at least most of the gore was necessary to the story.

As far as the story, it was definitely original in the context of a gore movie, so that gave it points, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending.

Overall, I'd probably not watch it again because it doesn't really have the kind of value I'd normally get a benefit from emotionally. But that's not to say it was a poorly thought out movie.

Thanks again for the thoughts on it though!
I did enjoy watching it.