Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #10850 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
Hehe, me and my GF have also had a few stick insects. A guy at the university were giving them away for free because the ones he had reproduced asexually by cloning themselves so over time, he had far too many. They're fascinating I think even if they're not terribly exciting pets.
Yeah, they're strange enough creatures (even stranger now that I know they can reproduce like that) to be interesting enough as pets, if on looks alone. I think the common Indian stick insects (which the parents also had a few of back in the day) are kinda cute, but those spiny New Guinea ones just freak me out to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
GAA! That's the one harmless creature whom I fear. I try to hide my feelings of squirmy disgust so my child doesn't inherit my phobia, and so when I see a huge furry fast spider I say things like, "Oh, look at all those nice strong legs, and see how many eyes spiders have?"...but I don't fool myself.
Funnily enough, I can remember the exact moment I inherited arachnophobia as well. I must've been 4 or 5 years old, and I have the very vague memory of the babysitter screaming at this cute little spider on the ceiling. I wish she'd been that generous about the whole thing - it's true that phobias, the majority of the time, are things you grow out of, particularly after leaving home, but growing up with them can be a royal pain in the arse.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote