Music Banter - View Single Post - 80's comeback?
Thread: 80's comeback?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
IWP
A S T H E T I C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
The 80s comeback has been in progress for at least 5 years, both in fashion (bleh) and music.
Eh I don't think so. it hasn't really happened until recently. All that's really been popular this decade was hip hop/rap, alternative rock, post-grunge, pop punk, pseudo-emo, mallcore (bands like Slipknot, Disturbed, Marilyn Manson), and metalcore and musically, none of those genres really draw many influences from the 80s unless you count those god awful 80s song covers. I did, however notice that 80s fashion is making a slight comeback (mainly just in women's clothes though).

I honestly think the 80s revival will be in full gear in the 2010s considering that there was a 50s revival in the 80s, and it already is starting to make a comeback considering that synthpop is just now making a strong comeback. The 80s were pretty much just a modernized version of the 50s (new wave and glam bands were directly influenced by 50s rock n roll/rockabilly, and in turn, I think the 2010s are going to be a modernized version of the 80s considering that electropop (which is basically modernized synthpop) is starting to become very popular, and I'm predicting that electropop along with a few other genres of electronic dance music is going to phase out hip hop/rap/urban pop around 2010 or 2011. At least I hope so.

Last edited by IWP; 11-20-2009 at 02:27 PM.
IWP is offline   Reply With Quote