Music Banter - View Single Post - Pendulum
Thread: Pendulum
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122 View Post
I also like pendulum quite a bit, especially songs like tarantula, hold your colour, and pendulum's remix of voodoo people. I think that regardless of whether you like pendulum's move towards the mainstream, their popularity will introduce people to dnb and help the genre grow. I know I had never really listened to dnb before pendulum and now im looking up more dnb artists and songs.
I think the problem arises when mainstream integration leads to a genre being so watered down and ripped apart to make it compatible and accessible by the mainstream audience that the music many people are listening to isn't even recognizable as its true form, and the roots of where it began are lost under layers and layers of bullshit.
I can respect it as a gateway, but if the producers go that route because they're following a subgenre's success story into the mainstream, then there won't be anything real left for people to discover after using that gateway.
It's potentially a gateway to nowhere, and the city left in the background is maintained by fewer and fewer citizens until there's nothing left at all.